Food Safety and Handling
This Course is designed to broaden student’s knowledge in the areas of Food Safety for functioning in the food environment. It also seeks to support the developmental and changing needs of the food industry in Barbados and the Caribbean. Participants will be exposed to the appropriate knowledge and understanding to enable them to take responsibility for food safety monitoring procedures, to identify hazards to food safety, take appropriate action in the light of these hazards and contribute improvements in food safety practices.
Professional Development is a win-win for employees and employers. The best organization in the world consists of highly engaged employees who have the opportunity to improve themselves and the knowledge and tools needed to do their jobs. This certificate provides employees with the opportunity to:
• Be more competitive for jobs within the industry.
• Increase in productivity and effectiveness in their current position.
• Be better prepared to meet the challenges of new regulatory requirements.
• Learn from experienced practitioners who have worked in the industry in similar positions.
• Be taught by responsive and helpful instructors dedicated to your success.
How Employers Benefit
• Employees become more productive in their current positions.
• Problems may be solved more quickly and efficiently through improved technical knowledge.
• Investments in professional development improves employees’ retention.
• Employees are better prepared to comply with regulatory requirements.
• A larger, more qualified pool of candidates for future supervisory and management positions.
Food Safety & Hygiene for Food Handlers – The causes, prevention and communication dealing with food borne illnesses.
Syllabus: Principles and practices of food plant sanitation; Cleaning and sanitizing; Hazard in food preparation and storage; Food-borne illness; Bacteria and their effect on Human Food Protection control programme (GMPs, SOPs, SSOPs and HACCP). Government and Public Health regulations. Personal hygiene.
Food microbiology - The positive and negative interactions between micro-organisms and foods.
Syllabus: Introductory microbiology; Microorganisms important in food microbiology; Principles of contamination; preservation and food spoilage; Microorganisms in the production of foods; Food intoxications and infections; Microbiology in food plant sanitation.
GMP - The Good Manufacturing Practices requirements for manufacturers of foods.
Syllabus: Plant Maintenance; Cleaning; control and evaluation of microbial, insect and rodent contamination in Pest control. Waste management involving waste treatment and disposal; Personnel Training & hygiene. Product traceability, wrapping/packaging and transport.
Participants will be assessed based on attendance, class participation, the final examination and practical assessment. The exam accounts for 70% of the final grade.
Course Fee: $850.00
Second installment: $ 425.00 to be paid before course commencement.
Duration: 6 Months
Call 431-0957 for further information.
Some aspects of this course outline are subject to change.