The Career Development Institute

(former Standard Distributors building),

Tudor Street, Bridgetown, St. Michael

careerdevelopment.institute@yahoo.com

Tel: 1-246-431-0957

Office Hours:  8 a.m. - 4 p.m (Monday - Friday).

© 2018 - 2022 by Career Development Institute.  All Rights Reserved.

The Career Development Institute is Registered as a Training Institute by the Barbados Accreditation Council and Accredited by the Caribbean Association of Security Professionals, The Nursing Council of Barbados and the TVET Council.

  • Facebook Clean

Small Business Management

Certificate Course

EXAMINATION

Assessment of the course is determined by the written examination which accounts for 60% of the overall grade.  As well as the final project which accounts for the remaining 40%.

 

PRE-REQUISITES

 

  • Completion of Secondary School Certificate with passes in English and Principle of Business

  • Pursuing the opening of a small business

INSTRUCTIONAL APPROACH

 

This course will be offered in the face to face mode and will involve a mix of lectures, discussions and presentations. To benefit fully, a student’s participation in all aspects of the course is required.

Students must:

  • Attend all lectures

  • Prepare for lectures

  • Contribute to all discussions

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

​​Registration: $50.00

Course Fee: $ 1550.00

Deposit: $ 775.00

Installments: 3 months to pay remainder.

 

​Duration: 5 Months


Call 431-0957 for further information.



Some aspects of this course outline are subject to change.​

COURSE OBJECTIVES:



  1. Fundamentals of Management

  2. Developing a Small Business

  3. Creation of Effective Business Plans

  4. Principles of Marketing

  5. Introduction to Business Law

  6. Financial Statements and Budgets

  7. Recruitment and Retention

AWARD OF QUALIFICATION:

The programme offers dual qualification. The Career Development Institute’s Certificate in Small Business Management on successful completion of the full programme and the TVET Council Unit Qualification in individual units or Full Qualification in Developing A New or Existing Business
Enterprise upon successful completion of the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 3-Assessments. For further details contact the Programme Coordinator for Division of Business and Leadership.

ABOUT THE PROGRAMME:

This programme will introduce participants to the following:


1. The creation of coherent and effective business plans
2. Evaluation of, and methods for conducting market research
3. Legal and risk management techniques
4. Business Communications
5. SWOT Analysis
6. Management and Leadership styles
7. Recruitment strategies
8. Creation of Financial Statements and Budgets

TARGET GROUP:

  • Small Business Managers

  • Small Business Owners

  • Persons with an interest in entrepreneurship

INTRODUCTION

The Small Business Management Course encompasses the essential foundation required for participants to successfully and effectively manage/own their own business. It will equip students with the ability to market products and services, decipher avenues to finance the business and create an effective business plan. It also provides insight of a small business’ contribution to the economy and the legal and risk management
requirements that must be in place.